home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Friday, October 24, 2008

Blueberry Pie

blueberry pie 1

When did I decided that pie was for me? The first time I had blueberry pie. I don't know how old I was. I remember being at my grandfather's house for Thanksgiving. I remember being in the kitchen, listening to my mother and my older sister's talking and laughing. Then came the pies. There were so many and they were all so good. I already liked pie better to cake any day but when my mouth closed on the forkful of flaky crust, tart fruit, and sweet syrup, ... oh my I love pie! I knew I had to make pie. From then on I listened when pie was talked about, watched when pie was made, read about pie in every cookbook I got my hands on.
So in honor of that early pie memory, here is my favorite blueberry pie recipe. It calls for frozen blueberries which is why I love it but fresh can also be used. Just blend some up in the blender to get the juice needed.

Blueberry Pie

Pastry for 2-crust pie
3 cups frozen blueberries (unsweetened)
Blueberry juice (drained from the thawed berries)
Water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon juice

Thaw the berries and drain off the juice. Add enough water to the juice to make 1/2 cup liquid. Pour into a sauce pan and add the sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and stir. Cook quickly until thickened. Set aside to cool.
Add berries and lemon juice to the cooled juice. Pour filling into your pastry lined pie pan. Add a top crust and cut vents and flute the edges.
Bake at 425*F for 30 minutes.

This pie is great warm or cold, with or without ice cream.
blueberry pie 2

I think my little peep liked it.
blueberry pie 3

8 comments:

Donna said...

YUMMY, looks so scrumptious. Thanks for the recipe, DH loves blueberries. I'll make him one for Thanksgiving.

Marylois said...

blueberry is Jonathan's favorite too. You can make home bottled pie filling with clear gel too.

Goob said...

we must be kindred spirits. I was tiny when I first began requesting pie instead of cake for birthday parties! By the time I was 9 it was said I made a better pie crust than my mother. ( although I'm pretty sure they were just building my confidence.) thank you for the recipe, I'll definitely have to try it!

Ellena said...

Love blueberries, I do have some in the freezer now, I will make this, but I think I'll wait until I have to go the grocery store for redi-made crust
Thanks for the recipie

Yarni Gras! said...

great photos!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I LOVE that last pic!!!

Liz said...

I just found your blog and have really been enjoying it.

Michelle Palmer said...

Just love taking a little break & visiting your blog...these treats look sooo yummy! I'll have to try the Tiger Milk with the kids for a fun harvest treat~

Thanks for sharing!
Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...