home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, March 12, 2007

Behold the Bread

the loaf
I made this bread in my oven. I am still amazed! And yes, it did taste as good as it looks. So chewy and good.
My friend Jill came to my house for a diaper making day and brought a loaf of this bread and the recipe with her. I am so glad! I love bread and I love making good bread. I have dreamt of making bread that looks like this and now I have. Here is the link to the original recipe. When I made it, I did 4 times the recipe and added 2 Tbsp. gluten. This make 2 nice big loaves. I have tried this in whole wheat and am still working on the recipe to make that work well.
Here is how you do it.
First you mix the dry ingredients.
Mix the dry
Then you mix in the water by hand or with a spoon.
Mix in the wet
This is what it will look like. Very wet and sticky.
mixed
Then you cover it with plastic wrap and let it set for 18 hours. It can go up to 24 hours if you need to. This is what it will look like.
Day 2
Now dump it out onto a floured board and fold in thirds one way and then turn it and turn in thirds again.
Form loaf
Cover with an inverted bowl and let rise for 2 hours. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450* and heat a lidded dutch oven for 1 hour.
Plop the dough into the hot dutch oven and put the lid on.
Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Then remove the lid and bake another 20 minutes.
the loaf
Pull the loaf out of the oven and let it cool and a rack completely ... if you can. Hee Hee
Then Slice it and enjoy.
The crumb

6 comments:

angeliclenore said...

I am going to have to make this! Shawn loves a good bread! Now I just need to get ahold of a dutch oven! ;)

Marylois said...

It is good. We enjoyed it while we were visiting. I'm making some sourdough right now :o)

Alisa said...

We made this yesterday. Today we are making a double batch because that first loaf was gone way too fast.

Lucy said...

I love the bread prosetylizing going on. Rose advocates sharing bread and bread knowledge. I am just loving the book. I don't have tons of time to read it but I am saoking up every bit of information. She is a marvelous teacher. If you can't get the book, I recomend telling your library to get it and then check it out.... often. :o)

Anonymous said...

I have tried making this bread twice. The 1st time I made it will 100% whole wheat flour. It was VERY heavy. I don’t recommend doing that again. The 2nd time I made a double batch and used ½ whole wheat flour. I also used 2 T. lecithin granules and 1-2 T. gluten. It has turned out very well. I think I would like to make it with 9 grain cereal and or sunflower seeds.

Anonymous said...

I have made this bread with the 9 grain cereal and it was very good along with 2 T. lecithin granules and 1-2 T. gluten. It was still on the heavy side but very chewy and full of air pockets. It is very good after it has been toasted.

Today I tried to make the bread and follow the original recipe. I now have 4 loves that could be used as lethal weapons or building bricks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...