home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, February 23, 2009

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I have to admit that I have never been a brussel sprout eater. They always tasted to bitter to me. One year though my Dad grew some in the garden and convinced me to try them and they were so wonderful. Their flavor was so light and buttery. I tried them again from the store and they tasted nasty again.

Well we tried some at a restaurant a few weeks ago with the kids and they were fabulous. So on the way home Brayn had me get a huge bag of them from the grocery store. We tried them roasted (thank you Jill!) and they are fabulous. The bitterness of the sprouts goes away and kinda works for this dish.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
I fixed them again yesterday for my mom for Sunday dinner and decided I getter post them here before I forget what I did. (it was so hard you know!) They are wonderfully buttery cabbagy inside, and toasty and tasty outside like french fries.

You take a bunch of brussel sprout. Wash them and trim them if needed.
Dry them with a towel.
Toss them with some olive oil, not much is needed, just a drizzle or 1-2 tablespoons.
Arrange them on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to your taste.
Then Bake them at 400 deg F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Enjoy!
They really are tasty. Many of you know that Bryan absolutely hates vegetables and he can't get enough of these. Most of my kids like them too. Kids have more taste buds than grown-ups and have more bitter receptors than we do and that is why they turn their nose up and things we seem to love. My littlest ones do taste them though and hopefully will develop a love of them. We will work on them with boiled cabbage and get them to love that flavor, or baked with butter. That is tasty too.

2 comments:

angeliclenore said...

For a cool science experiment AND a tasty cabbage treat... Get red cabbage, boil it for a bit and use the juice as a pH indicator. Find stuff around your house and see if it's an acid or a base. And with the cabbage, butter and salt... yummm!

Well, ok, you know me and I won't touch the stuff!! But Shawn & Calvin couldn't get enough. They LOVED it! And kids are always more likely to eat something if it goes with cool science, right??

Anonymous said...

I "roast" my brussels sprouts on top of the stove in a big iron pan. It doesn't heat up my kitchen as much as the oven.
You may already do this, but roasted broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and turnips are really great also and the ONLY WAY my husband will eat these guys.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...