home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pecan Pie

Hurray, I made 2 pies this month so you get another divine pie recipe.


Pecan Pie

This is one of our family favorites and usually only appears on Thanks Giving Day. However, it was Bryan's birthday this week and I decided to make him pie instead of cake. He loves this pie and really hates rhubarb. He kinda wanted to know why I was making pies that he hates. (because I love them hee hee). So in honor of his birthday I made HIS kind of pie and it is to die for.
Here are my thoughts on pecan pie. I do really like it for the flavor but the traditional pecan pie is so rich, sticky, and sweet that I can't eat more than a bite. This pie does not have corn syrup and other stuff so it is less sticky and sweet. It is rich though and a tiny slice is plenty. (unless you are a big pig and it is your birthday, hee hee). This recipe is actually a chess pie made with eggs, sugar, and flour. I love how the flavors blend together. I will be posting some more chess pies this year. There is a raisin recipe I have that can put you in a sugar coma. I love it!

Pecan Pie or (Heirloom Chess Pie)
1 unbaked 9” pie shell
¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
½ cup cream
2 cups chopped nuts

Cream butter.Add sugars and salt.
Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.Do not over cook.

You can substitute just about any nut in this recipe. My sister Jeanne makes this with black walnuts sometimes. It is so delicious. My favorite Thanks Giving memories are of me, my mom and my sisters sitting at the table after all the guys have passed out. We take a plate and nibble on tiny slices of our favorite pies and talk and laugh a lot. It is really good times.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Lucy I use english walnuts.

Marylois said...

Pie is good for birthdays. We usually have pie instead of cake at my house too. I just found a recipe for a strawberry lemon chess pie that I am going to have to try for mine :~)

CathyJean said...

It's always good to make your husband something that he "likes" on his birthday! heehee!

Anonymous said...

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy... such a nice Blog! All filled with pie and aprons! and quilts too! I am adding you to my sidebar you wonderful little Blogger you!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog you have..I love reading it..aprons are one of my favorite things.. I hope you don't mind..I added you to my sidebar as a blog I love to read..
CC
lacenribbonroses.blogspot.com

yasmine said...

oh my gosh that looks awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...