home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, January 04, 2016

Bolognese

Bolognese won this weeks "from the pantry" challenge because I had things we could make this with.  It is also a big winner because it is a great way to "hide" vegetables from your family.  I am all about that.  My husband eats more veggies now but when we were first married... he wouldn't touch them.  I love vegetables and wasn't going to give them up so... I had to get sneaky.  This recipe lets you get really sneaky.  This recipe uses carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms.  I sent them all through the food processor to chop them very fine.  The all just disappear into the sauce.

Basic Bolognese

1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped or grated carrots
1 large onion chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
2 cups brown mushrooms chopped
1 to 2 pounds ground beef
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp Mrs Dash table blend (optional) I don't like pepper so I use this
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
5+ cloves garlic minced
1 Tbsp sugar
2 jars bottled tomatoes (OR 2 - 28oz cans of whole tomatoes)
1 Cup half & half
1 Cup milk

Heat the oil in a heavy pan.  Add the carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
Make a hole in the center of your veggies and add your ground beef.  Cook until browned and stir into the veggies.  Cook for about 5 more minutes.
Add the herbs and spices.  Let them cook in for a couple of minutes.
Add the Tomato paste and let that cook in for another couple of minutes.
Add the vinegar, salt, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and bottled tomatoes.  Mix well.  Let it cook for another 5 minutes or so, till it is all blended well.
Add the milk and half & half.  Bring to a boil again.  Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Serve over your favorite pasta.  We like to use homemade noodles.
Isn't that sauce beautiful!?  I think I am loving this.  I am so glad we did this challenge this week.  It is forcing me to get creative.  Next time (meaning tomorrow's leftovers) I am going to try tossing the fresh noodles right into the sauce and letting them cook there.  It will soak up all the yummy juices.  I can't wait for DH to try this.  I think he will love it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...