home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Spicy Tomato Soup

This is another recipe we have been making for more than 25 years.  I got the recipe from my sister-in-law, Lee.  It is my favorite and I crave it.  It reminds me of my brother and his home and that always makes me happy.  I always use home bottled tomatoes for this recipe.  If you don't have that, look for a large can of stewed tomatoes.  A bottle of tomatoes is about 32 oz. so look for something comparable.  This recipe also calls for cloves and nutmeg.  They may sound a little weird at first but they give this soup it's signature flavor.  The whole house is filling with the smell of this spicy soup..... Oh and hot fresh bread.  My daughter made some to go with the soup.  Again... we are on budget and all this food came from the pantry.

Spicy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 quart of bottled tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth (if you make your own bone broth... it makes the soup even better)
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp pepper
salt to taste

Melt the butter in a stock pot.
Add the onions and saute until limp.
Add the bottle of tomatoes and the broth.
Add the herbs and spices.
Bring to a soft boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Serve with fresh bread or yummy cheese sandwiches.

My sister-in-law is a talented artist.  She also makes the most amazing salve, Mom's Stuff.

She has been making this stuff for years.  We love it.  One of the key ingredients is pinion pine pitch.  It smells so lovely and reminds me of home.  We use it for dry skin on hands, feet, and face.  We use it for cuts and scrapes.  My son uses it on our farm animals to help heal up minor cuts and scrapes.  It is a must around here, especially in the winter.  You should really give it a try.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...