Peaches have to be one of my favorite fruits. Thus one of my all time favorite pies is Peach Pie.
On the way home from the Zoo last weekend I found a road side fruit stand with fresh Missouri peaches. I had to have some. We made Jam and saved a few for pie.
Missouri Peach Pie
Pastry for a 2-crust pie
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups sliced, peeled peaches
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 tbsp butter
- Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Sprinkle peaches with lemon juice and almond extract.
- Add sugar-flour mixture to the peaches and mix gently. Pour into a pastry lined 9" pie pan. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust and pinch the edges. Cut vents.
- Brush the top of the pie with cream and sprinkle with sugar. (this is optional but makes a pretty pie.)
- Bake at 450 deg F for 40-45 minutes, or until juices are bubbly and the crust is golden.
- Serve slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.