home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Scalloped Potato Recipe

My mother has talked about her mother's scalloped potatoes for years. Scalloped potatoes is not something I do well. They are not my favorite way to have potatoes because they often go horribly wrong and have no flavor. Well...... Those days are over! I gave my mother's memory a try. Mom never made these potatoes for me, she just told me how good her mother's were and basically what she did.
Scalloped Potatoes

Grandma Wood's Scalloped Potatoes (in true grandma Wood recipe form)

Wash and thinly slice some potatoes.

Butter the pan.

Layer the potatoes in a thin layer on the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.

Repeat layers till your pan is full.

Pour milk over the potatoes making sure they are covered.

Now here is where I added my bit.

Sprinkle the top with some Parmesan cheese.

Top it off with some cream.

Bake in a hot oven till they are done.
(When are they done? When they are bubbly, brown on top and the potatoes are tender.)

7 comments:

Marylois said...

I remember mom making these when I was little. I don't do scalloped potatoes very often. I like to add so mozzarella cheese and some extra sharp cheddar cheese in the layers of potatoes as well. Very true to Grandma Wood's cooking style though, a hand full of this and pinch of that and cook until done.

Alphacyg said...

I love the descriptive recipe form. It's how my Grandma cooked.

CathyJean said...

Those potatoes sound way too good! I'm keeping that recipe for later. Thanks for sharing.

Candace said...

Looks delicious. If I were making them, I might parboil the potatoes, just in case, as I have made some in a similar way that didn't want to get soft on time.

Jeanne said...

One very important step is to scald the milk first. I didn't think this was so i,portant and found out that if you don't then the milk boils over in your oven and makes a huge mess. But if you scald it first thenis is just yummy goodness.

Anonymous said...

The potatoes look great!! I love the reciepe, it's the way I have always cooked. Thank you for sharing, it's been a long time and now will have to give this a try.

Margie

eetak said...

This is actually first potato cake I managed to bake edible and full of flavor, and it allows so many upgrades and changes of the basics. Thanks for this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...