home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Apples - Gathered In

Last week Vea and I ran over to Springfield for a quilt show. On the way back home, we stopped at the Murphy Apple orchard in Marrionville MO. We both picked up some of their cull apples. These are their seconds but are still lovely apples and and about half the price.

Apple Harvest
I picked up Jonagolds and Jonathans. They are both great for sauce and pie.

I made apple sauce and pie filling.
Apple storage

I also made a small batch of mock mincemeat.
Canned Mincemeat

I might just have to post the recipes later. I don't want to forget how I made the applesauce. It tastes fantastic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you were a baby your Grandmother would do about the same thing here in Utah. She had a pair of bib overalls and a sack like thing on the front. She would go through the orchard picking up wind falls. Here applesauce out lived her by a year or two.

Marylois said...

Did you use the apple pie recipe I went you? It looks like you did. Do you have a source close by for Clear Gel? I get mine from Kitchen Krafts. Here is a web link:
http://kitchenkrafts.com

Yarni Gras! said...

that is wonderful. We used to go to an orchard in Texas but they don't have them here....makes me sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...