Can you believe it! I have an apron pattern before the end of the month. How amazing!
This one is so easy. It is another Dishtowel Apron.
You will need:
1 Dishtowel (washed and dried before starting, these shrink a lot and you don't want to distort your apron)
1 package double fold bias tape (2 1/2 to 3 yards)
Ric Rac (the requirement for the March/April Tie-On Challenge)
Fabric scraps for the pocket
1. Fold your apron in half lengthwise.
2. Starting at the top of your apron measure 4 inches and mark it. From the top corner measure down 10 inches (this is the non-fold side).
3. Now, using a rotary cutter and ruler cut from the 4" to the 10" marks, making a triangle.
4. Now un-fold your apron and lay it out.
5. Now take the bias tape and fold it in half to mark the center. Measure down 9 inches from the center on each side. This will be the neck of your apron.
6. Now pin the bias tape to the apron. The pins at the 9" marks should line up right at the top of the apron. Open the bias tape and sandwich the apron inside.
7. Sew the Bias tape close to the edge (top-stitch) starting at one end of the tape and sewing all the way to the other end.
8. Now take the left over triangles and any scrap fabrics you have a make a pocket. I made several aprons so I mixed and matched the scraps and made half square triangle units for pocket patches.
9. Now comes the token Ric Rac. Place the edge of the ric-rac under the edge of the pocket and top stitch in place.
10. Place the pocket on your apron and pin in place and titch it down and you are done.
You can add and applique to the pocket before you stitch it down. Here are some that I did.
I made an extra for a friend and Vea is the lucky winner. She took hers home to embellish it herself. I can't wait to see what she did.
I also made two for my Etsy store. You can check them out there.
DIY Locker Cabinet as seen on HGTV’s Open Concept!
20 hours ago