home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, December 03, 2007

99 Octopi

3

I would like to share with you a little bit of our Family's Christmas Traditions.
Every year my mother makes a hand-made ornament for each of her grand children. This sort of started as a fun crafting activity and grew into necessity. You see, my mother has many grand children. She knew she could never afford to buy them each a gift for Christmas and so this became the family tradition. I so excited not that we have five children that our family tree is starting to fill out with family decorations.
This year my mom decided to make Octophrost, Santa of the Sea found at Futuregirl. He was just too much temptation. She knew it would take a while and started early this year (May or June I think). It took her about 8 hours to make each of the Octopi. She finally finished this week with number 99. That leaves her 5 for her own tree.
Here are the photos......
99 Octopi 1
There once was a woman who lived in Mizzou
She has so many grandkids--a hundred or two,
I would have spanked them all soundly and sent them to bed
but she loved them and sewwed them all octopi instead.
-Glynn
Blinking
I love how this guy just blinks at you, keeping his Christmas day secrets to himself.

1
These two are plotting some Christmas mischief. What out who's house they go to!

4

The Helpers
Hannah, Sarah, and Caroline
These are the helpers that helped Grandma stuff the tree with the 99 octopi.


"The Octopus' Garden"
I'd like to be, under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
in his octupus' garden, in the shade.
I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade.
We would be warm, below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head, on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave
We would sing and dance around
because we know we can't be found
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)
We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden with you
In an octupus' garden with you
In an octupus' garden with you.
(thanks Kathie for reminding me!)

24 comments:

zakkalife said...

They look great, what dedication. What a wonderful tradition she has started!

GlowWorm said...

Speechless

Alphacyg said...

Your mother never ceases to amaze me. That is monumental!

Jill

angeliclenore said...

Yup! We have the BEST Grandma EVER!!!

the solitary thread said...

That is amazing! They look so wonderful on the tree all together :) What a lovely tradition.

pedalpower said...

Wow! That's quite a feat! Having an ornament she made is much better than anything store bought could be!

Anonymous said...

That totally made my day! Your mom is incredible, I'm in awe.

-myra
www.mylittlemochi.typepad.com

futuregirl said...

I'm so happy that I was a part of your family tradition this year! Just look at all those octopi ... it's breathtaking. :)

MOONSTITCHES said...

This is just wonderful. All that love that went into the ornaments! I admire your mother for her amazing dedication. And her taste, the Octophrost is some fabulous ornament!

Hilde C. said...

What a beautiful tradition :-)

Inger Carina said...

I love this! What a beautiful tradition! Tell your mom that her warmth is spreading all the way to us here in Sweden.
Tank you for giving great inspiration. Kind regards Inger C

Jody said...

That is truly awesome! I am so impressed that you were able to make 99 octopuses! What an wonderful tradition.

KCina said...

WOW -- I'm truly amazed...if 99 can be made, I outta be able to make ONE (don't ya think).

What a wonderful tradition and great way to celebrate the holidays with the entire family!

~ Kathy C. (Oregon)

Jen said...

Fantastic! And I noticed we have some favorite links in common. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog!

calamitykim said...

wow! All I can say is WoW!!!! I would love to see the tree with all the ornaments she has made over the years for the Grandbabies! What a lovely tradition. Lenore Rocks!

Beckett said...

This is great! Plus, it reminds me of the rare Pacific NW Tree Octopus. :)

Unknown said...

your mom rules. That's such a good idea. Cutest thing ever.

greetingarts said...

Oh, and how awesome and fitting is it that each octopus took about *eight* hours to make? HA! So cool.

søren said...

this is absolutely wonderful. aside from that she made NINETY NINE OCTOPUSES/OCTOPI/WHATEVER-THE-HECK-THEY-ARE, i love that they are all on a tree together. what an awesome grandma and what a lucky family. you're all so blessed. happy holidays.

Anonymous said...

These make me think of another song! "Oh I'd like to be an octo-fish, yes I'd like to be an octo-fish, but they said that it could never be, octo-foo, octo-fee..." it goes on.
Your Sis Mary turned me on to your blog, I really enjoy visiting from time to time and seeing your lovely things.

Anonymous said...

quality, pure quality.

hats off to grandma!

Pintoo said...

shes the world's best grandma :)..

Jean Martha said...

WOW. I stumbled to this post via FutureGirl's blog. WOW. Your Mom is a national treasure!

jojoebi-designs said...

wow, they look amazing, was a lovely tradition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...